The international BIM market was worth $5,205 million in 2019 and is expected to rise to $15,892 million by 2027, at a CAGR of around 15% between 2020 and 2027. The need for effective project life cycle management has led real estate companies, construction firms, and AEC professionals to implement building information modeling. MEP (mechanical, electrical, and plumbing) designers are not an exception in this regard. They are adopting BIM for MEPFP services to enhance project performance and produce improved results. Building Information Modeling technology is enabling MEP Engineers to collect information in a streamlined way, improve data exchange and coordinate amongst various stakeholders.
Why Need MEP BIM Services?
Process automation is common in today’s digitized world, where every decision is based on data. Using BIM for MEPFP BIM Services, engineers create an information-rich 3D model for the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems of the building. The data-rich model facilitates in making efficient use of resources, including materials, time, and manpower, and successfully collaborates amongst stakeholders to ensure a smooth construction workflow.
BIM in Building Design Facilitating Various Stages of Construction:
BIM for MEP modeling plays a critical role in building designs and acts as a major pillar of various stages including:
- Design Development
- Facility Management
Challenges Resolved through BIM for MEPFP Services: Traditional Vs. BIM Benefits
Challenges Involved in the Traditional Technique:
- Stakeholders’ collaboration in the building design process, demanded a cooperative approach and a commitment to work towards a common goal.
- Earlier, about 90% of the building information were unavailable, at the time of drawing creation. The process led to confusion and changed orders.
- The change order in a project was around 10%, causing delays in project completion.
- Consequently, about 25-30% of projects were unable to follow the initial schedule and budget.
Contemporary BIM Benefits for MEPFP Designers:
- Through BIM MEP services, designers successfully reduce resource wastage to around 35%.
- Using 3D visualization & modeling, Building Information Modeling facilitates engineers to plan a project from inception to construction.
- Implementing 5D BIM, MEP designers make an accurate cost estimation, energy load calculation and HVAC system designing.
- Building Information Modeling is no doubt a smart 3D model-based technique. MEP BIM Modelers could successfully design, document and fabricate building systems with the technique.
- Further project teams enhance cooperation, share data, and speed up project delivery from design to completion with this technique.
- A collaborative BIM process enables team members to gain insight into design and constructability, increase accuracy, resolve clashes, and optimize building system design.
Process of Coordinating MEPFP Design using BIM:
- MEP coordination services in the building design are successfully executed in 3D. The models are preferred due to their Level of Details, which are achieved through 3D visualization techniques.
- Models created up to LOD 400 emphasize key engineering equipment in a new perspective, revealing 3D design clashes.
- Building coordination involves a high level of detail to create detailed and dependable designs, accurate timetables and improved budget projection.
Coordination amongst various MEPFP Components:
- Mechanical – HVAC equipment, cooling towers, Air Handling Unit, ducting
- Electrical – Panels, switchboards, elevators, transformers, cable trays
- Plumbing – Pumps, water tanks, pool filtration equipment, sewage pit, grease, sand trap
- Fire Safety – Sprinkler pumps, tanks, fire shutters, smoke curtains, piping system
- External – Rooftops, the exterior face of a structure
Key BIM Services for MEP Design Firms:
- Design Development & Coordination – BIM engineering adds value to construction through improving MEP designs from the conceptual design-build stage to construction. The design development technique evolves from schematic and detailed design development to construction documentation.
- BIM Modeling – BIM Modeling identifies constructability and design issues accurately. MEP engineers get clarity in designs related to aesthetics, clearance, tolerance and communicate construction ideas effectively. The centralized model ensures a coherent building plan with sections and elevations so that they could be directly produced from the model.
- Design Engineering & Validation – BIM Design Engineering facilitates in creating complex building models, allowing MEP design firms to reduce the risk of costly changes at a later stage.
- Design development for mechanical ducting encompassing load analysis, CFM (Cubic feet per minute) calculations, duct routing optimization, sizing, etc.
- Plumbing design through Building Information Modeling includes assigning fixtures, checking obstructions to sprinkler spray, providing flush valves, etc.
- Electrical validations include energy analysis, voltage drop calculation, short circuit current calculation, etc.
- Construction Drawing Creation – BIM Model facilitates in producing comprehensive MEP drawings, with technical information. The consistent and cohesive drawings from the 3D model enable accurate MEP coordination with several other trades.
- Quantity Take-Off – Quantities are also produced from 3D models for MEP design firms. Extracting the quantities through MEP Revit Model helps to make accurate cost estimations for determining designs with the project budget. Consequently, this enables team members to collaborate effectively, allowing designers to explore designs and make the right decisions for cost reduction and energy saving.
Summarizing Key Thoughts:
While MEPFP services serve as the fundamental building business, BIM services function as the perfect valve. The technology ensures the entire construction work process run smoothly and quickly. MEPFP designers get benefitted from Building Information Modeling in several ways, including:
- Improved building design
- Streamlined information management
- Enhanced building lifecycle management
- Robust BIM execution plan
- Better construction schedule
- Clash detection at the pre-construction stage
- Project risk minimization
- Accurate material estimation
- Building performance analysis
- Facility operations, maintenance & management
So, why are you hesitant about BIM adoption? Seek BIM for MEPFP Services from the best BIM company, and improve your building design, accuracy and project constructability.