Building information modeling (BIM) is a powerful technique for design and construction over the last 20 years. Enhancing clash coordination, reduction of risk, and improving construction scheduling and sequencing are the popular benefits provided by BIM service providers. Nevertheless, the industry’s BIM applications throughout the construction project lifecycle are still fragmented. Even though Building Information Modeling is the standard for design, it is used in pre-construction, construction, operations and building maintenance. But what is the future of BIM technology, where architecture, engineering, and construction (AEC) professionals benefit the most? Well, people looked at technology, wrapping around the axle based on cutting-edge sides. The future of BIM is exciting and it’s much more for a practical reason. Boiling down to the essence, BIM design build services act as a complete communication tool, using models at all stages for improved collaboration.
Ultimately, the future of BIM technology lies in creating connections. Connected BIM leverages comprehensive BIM modeling through cloud technology. A connected model-based approach helps the design build process of residential and commercial service projects throughout pre-construction, construction, closeout, and even through operations and maintenance.
Current State of Building Information Modeling (BIM)
Where does the construction industry stand today with BIM services?
· 88% architectural services and engineering firms say BIM enables improved design insight
· 82% BIM users are of the opinion that Building Information Modeling provides positive ROI
· 25% design build firms have seen an improved labor productivity
· 84% state that creating building designs with BIM eliminates unnecessary rework
· 69% hold the opinion that BIM modeling reduces costs and material wastage
Benefits of BIM Services at a glance
· Accuracy in the design build process
· Ability to visualize designs with aesthetics, landscape, entity placement & space planning
· Parametric modeling features taking care of interrelated changes across the model
· Capability to produce 3D geometry, accurate 2D drawings and cost estimation
· Energy analysis & collaborative modeling
How does BIM enhance the design process?
3D design build models are preferred more compared to the conventional technique of 2D design. BIM modeling provides quick decision-making in the design teams for facilitating construction management through a common shared model and data management since the early design stage. Planning through BIM execution plan, the design phase gets changed with collaborative design, perfect design visualization, sustainable design development and building cost estimation from 3D BIM model. BIM engineering services support the flow of information within a multi-disciplinary process through which sustainability issues and performance analysis are conducted for the whole design phase. So, it’s in the early phase of design build stage, the construction of the building model becomes functional, sustainable, maintainable and operational using BIM.
Different phases of designs with Building Information Modeling
· Pre-Design – At this stage, architects prepare a schematic model through using masses or real elements in a BIM environment for marketing presenting to clients. BIM 3D Walkthroughs or renderings help to perform the marketing presentation. Then comes the modification part for comprehensive model creation. At this phase, 4D scheduling ensures that the building is created at a specific time, and 5D cost estimation facilitates constant tracking of the project materials and resources.
· Schematic Design – At this design build stage, ideas get drafted to a sketch. The MEP design firms, architects and structural designers prepare various sketches for the building owner. During this stage, brief meetings and construction site visits are conducted. Schematic design stage encompasses various stages, including concept design, concept reviews and client meetings. The estimate covers the cost of an element.
· Design Development – This stage of BIM modeling is popular as a detailed design development stage, where the sketches are developed in detail according to project requirements. Appearance, views and building details are finalized, and other project details, including documents, materials and finishes are also used.
· Construction Document – It is the final stage of design build process where building design drawings are created. Architects make the contract documents for the tendering process.
How can BIM help in the construction phase?
BIM Modeling is considered to be one of the most influential innovations, beneficial for the construction and architectural fraternity. BIM service providers in USA have helped to control many chaotic situations like over budgeting, re-designing and redundant construction etc. at different phases of construction. The conventional principles of the construction industry have been changed owing to BIM. Rather than changing designs during construction, most design changes now occur during the planning and the development stage. This reduces cost and project timelines. BIM Modeling constitutes to be a wholesome process of virtual construction with complete compilation of building data and 3D geometry through a digital medium. The 3d model is utilized from the conceptual building stage through facility management during post construction.
Different stages BIM facilitates construction
· Conceptual Stage – BIM Modeling is useful in the conceptual design phase. Designing the building structure in a traditional way during the design process involves sketching and digitizing sketches in CAD format. The conventional technique never provided a visual edge to the architects, contractors or design build firms in terms of aesthetics, design evaluations or other options, guaranteeing a reduction in design cost or a collaborative approach.
· Design Build Stage – After finalizing a conceptual design, there is a need to opt for a structural engineer and an MEP design firm for finalizing the remaining disciplines. The MEP Consultants along with the structural consultants are able to design as per the standards and codes applicable and so they are able to send design intent to BIM team members for further modeling. Later architectural, structural and MEP design models are integrated for detecting design issues, and clashes amongst multiple disciplines and coordination. This is where the collaborative aspect of Building Information Modeling comes into existence. Coordination meetings are conducted by the client, contractors, architects, structural engineers and MEP engineers for streamlining design issues. Clashes and interference could also be checked and resolved in the design stage, leaving fewer chances of design revisions during the construction. This helps to save money, time and enhance construction productivity overall.
· Procurement Stage – Procurement stage typically comprises project sequencing, Quantity take offs, COBie, energy analysis with 3D geometry, etc. Working in a collaborative environment improves productivity by avoiding wastage of time and resources. While building a model, BIM service providers also enter a lot of building data within the model for further extracting quantities, budgeting and costs during construction.
· Construction Stage – Building Information Modeling is also useful during the overall construction phase. Virtual construction modeling is cost effective whenever utilized during the construction phase. BIM technology proves much helpful for complex building designs and detailing. So, BIM should be used during the construction stage for 4D scheduling, 5D cost estimation and installation drawings.
· As-Built Stage: BIM is quite popular during the As-built stage. Advent of laser scan to BIM technology facilitates on-site survey. Using BIM technology, it becomes easy to preserve a model that reflects the final building geometry and data. The model can be preserved for years and can be used for building maintenance, design changes and renovation.
· Facility Management: BIM Modeling has immense popularity in facility management. As soon as the builder hands over the construction to the building owner, the BIM Model acts as a guidance tool. The model provides building owners an idea about the whole energy emission, utilization, placement of equipment, manufacturing and expiration date and purchase vendors. Building maintenance can also be scheduled as per the details provided in the BIM model.
It’s no doubt that BIM Modeling enhances the productivity of construction projects, reducing the overall construction cost. Comprehensive BIM services facilitate excellent control over the construction budget, providing accurate inputs. This provides an opportunity to the BIM market USA to design, develop and collaborate in a virtual environment before construction. Owing to the intrinsic features, virtual construction modeling is growing leaps and bounds. Cost control along with accurate deliverables and high BIM project execution are the key facets of increased BIM implementation. So, BIM Modeling will stay for a long time and will expand in the years to come. To hire one of the top BIM service providers in USA, contact Tejjy Inc. BIM automation company at 202-465-4830 or [email protected].