Importance of Fabrication Shop Drawings for Construction
Fabrication involves the technique of creating products by integrating standardized components. To take an instance, steel fabrication is the formation of metal structures through cutting, bending, and assembly. Usually, raw steel is converted into a product or item to be used in construction and fabrication helps a metal to get into the right shape. As a result fabrication shop drawings are considered to be the key strength of the steel sector.
It’s a proven fact that BIM companies producing shop drawings in Texas are optimizing projects with integrated analysis, generative design, and simulation tools. Consequently, building contractors, manufacturers, and suppliers get all the necessary information for accurate construction documentation.
What are fabrication drawings?
Fabrication drawings, also called shop drawings include detailed plans for translating the design intent of the AEC professionals. Competent BIM modeling companies in USA enable fabricators with the required information to fabricate, assemble and install structural modeling components. The diagrams form a significant part of structural engineering services and guide the manufacturers, fabricators, and builders to obtain information about prefabricated components like material types, shape, and size of components, installation procedure, and other details.
Attributes of Fabrication Shop Drawings:
- Facilitate manufacturing of components with more information from contract documents.
- Provide comprehensive details of building documents for displaying erection information like column, truss, beam, riser, plate, etc.
- Deliver complete information on dimensions, design specifications & quantity takeoffs/BOQs.
- Assist installation of structural and steel members within the structure during construction.
Types of Shop Drawings
Building Information Modeling companies produce different types of shop drawings to facilitate the creation of trusses, structural steel components, pre-cast concrete, and reinforced concrete. Some of the drawings include:
- Steel Fabrication
- Sheet Metal
- General Arrangement
Benefits of Fabrication Drawings:
- Enable engineers to understand the fabrication process –BIM consultants delivering shop drawings provide complete dimensions of components, including fabrication standards, manufacturing conventions, and codes. Consequently, this allows engineers to comprehend the whole fabrication process.
- Facilitate real-life construction – During real-life construction, while forming the building structure, it’s not always feasible to follow original diagrams. Changes are always required at the time of construction. Here, shop drawings provide detailed notes for real-life construction.
- Enhance profitability, reducing project costs – Accurate shop drawings play a vital role in decreasing project time and costs. Currently, many BIM firms provide shop drawings, acting as a roadmap to project managers, enhancing project profitability. This helps the fabricators to deliver work with strict adherence to project standards in a tight construction schedule. Project managers also bid profitably for delivering quality services to clients.
Information included in the shop drawings:
- Information for comparing design, performance, and details of architects & engineers
- Recommendations for dimension verifications
- Approved measurements as per locations
Applications of Steel Fabrication Drawing Services:
- Columns, bracing, pillars, ladders, handrails, frame & truss, etc.
- Anchor plan setting and layout plans
- Steel erection
- Data file requirements for manufacturing documents, showing pre-fabricated parts
In today’s fast-paced construction industry, with tighter timelines and longer lead times for materials, shop drawings are produced with advanced software, saving time and money. A BIM team providing cost-effective shop drawings facilitates companies to compete in a profitable way. The advancement of steel drawing services would continue to play a significant role in building a structure.
Expert BIM consultants are catering residential, commercial, educational, industrial, and infrastructural projects in a competent way. To integrate your fabrication work process, schedule an appointment with the best BIM engineering firm in USA and simplify the process of building erection.